Whether you support the Republicans or the Democrats you are probably still interested in our nations presidents and all the history that comes along with them.
While the Democrats helped form our country, Republicans have had their fair share of presidential candidates as well. Our history has had some notable presidents that we either admire or absolutely could not stand.
Even if you are a Republican or a Democrat supporter, you wouldn’t mind supporting whoever is in office as long as they are doing a great job.
While Democrats and Republicans have had the majority of presidents in office, there has also been other parties to represent our country such as the Whig Party. Presidents have long be associated with power and leadership of the free world.
- The first five presidents are considered the founding fathers of our country. This group consists of George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. Mostly Democrats, this group of men collectively signed the Constitution of the United States. Not to say that there wasn’t any Republicans present, but that the group known as the GOP was not formed yet.
- Abraham Lincoln was the next notable President of the United States. Abraham Lincoln was the first president to represent the Republicans. This election of course led to the Civil War which eventually freed the slaves. Democrats and many people in the south did not like Abraham Lincoln because of his opposition to slavery. Republicans were unpopular in the south for over a century.
- Ulysses S. Grant was elected to the presidency after Andrew Jackson was impeached. Republicans loved Grant because he was one of our greatest Generals and was considered the hero of the Civil War. Democrats were left out of the presidency till 1885 when Grover Cleveland was elected, and is the only president to serve two non consecutive terms.
- There have been a few Presidents that have been assassinated, and two others that were shot but survived. James Garfield and William McKinley, two noted Republicans were slain. John F. Kennedy, a very popular president for the Democrats was the last president to be assassinated. Teddy Roosevelt for the Democrats and Ronald Reagan, a former actor and very popular with the Republicans were shot but survived.
- Democrats have longed had presidents in office, but Republicans quickly gained steam when the party was formed. Both parties continue to supply candidates.
While this isn’t the complete list of presidents, these are some of the more notable ones in our country.
Some of these presidents have had their presidencies defined by heroic and tragic events.
There haven been 15 presidents representing the Democrats and 17 presidents representing the Republicans.
Considering the Democrats have been around longer, it is quite impressive that the Republican party has caught up and surpassed them. As we move forward, we will continue to have more wars and there will certainly be more events that define our presidents.…