There comes a time when you want to be affiliated with a political party. Determining witch one is easy as understanding the issues that come along with the party.
The Democratic party is one of two major political parties in the United States today. The Democrats have a long history of presidential candidates and elected officials.
Between the Republican and Democratic party, there are a lot if issues they do not agree on. They both do agree that the well being of the United States is first and foremost the most important issue.
The Democratic party is currently in the White House right now when President Barrack Obama was elected in November of 2008. Before the Democratic party, the Republicans served two terms from 2000-2008 when the Bush administration presided over the United States.
The Democrats can trace there origin to Thomas Jefferson who backed states’ rights, something that the Democratic party is against today. This is just one example that Democrats have changed their minds on many issues, as well as the Republican party.
- Democrats typically favor higher taxes and higher spending on different government programs.
- The Democratic party is for tighter gun laws, they have been pushing for this gun legislation for quite some time now.
- Abortion is always a hotly debated topic, and the same goes for the Democrats and the Republicans. Republicans have generally been against abortion, whereas the Democratic party have strongly supported a woman’s right to choose.
- Medicare is another topic that gets considerable attention in our country. This issue is always a topic whenever there is a presidential debate or when the President addresses the nation. Democrats agree that there should be affordable health care, that is of high quality. High quality health care is directly linked with higher taxes which Democrats also support.
- If the environment is your passion and you feel that it should be protected, then the Democratic way be for you. Democrats have continually expressed concern in protecting the environment. Noted Democratic supporter, Al Gore been trying to push awareness for global warming and other environmental issues that surround us today.
- Democrats tend to supports a higher minimum wage so that our citizens can earn a better way of life.
As with any political party, choosing which one to support comes with many pros and cons.
Democrats have had a history of influence in diverse cultures and minorities. Involving yourself with the Democratic party might be the way to go if you agree with most of their issues listed above.
Determining your affiliation should be very important to you. Many people feel that the Democratic policies and issues are fair and balanced.
So if you have yet to make a decision on which political party you support now is the time to read up on more issues and get involved.
The presidential may have come and gone, but by the time 2012 rolls around you will be well versed in the Democratic party and their views.